Background

Thursday, February 3, 2011

I thought I lived in Arizona


Well today was surely an eventful day. It was predicted to be a high of 36 here in Sierra Vista today well we haven't hit that high yet...at least that I know of and it's now 4:48 which means we probably won't. At my house we had no water this morning and still don't. I had to brush my teeth and pee at the gas station on the corner of the major road that runs by the street to my house. This was after the hubs telling me that I should just go pee in the backyard. Um..no. He insisted it's "just like camping." Again...no. I've been camping and it's not like camping when you live in a house in the middle of a neighborhood and are 7 months pregnant. But you and the dogs feel free to do what you need to do.
It was 7 degrees on my drive into work at 6:48 but then at my lunch we learned it was 16 degrees. Yay for entering the double digits. One of the elementary schools had no gas so they were busing their lunches in from another school. And one of our Kinder teachers and her class put a bucket of water outside and it froze in 25 minutes.

No, they did not call off school for the day. However, we got a lovely e-mail from our Superintendent explaining that if school is canceled tomorrow it will only be for students and staff is expected to report. Oh, and the other lovely gem is that our Principal's will be taking attendance but should I choose to take the day I can use my leave. Are you freaking kidding me? Districts that call a Snow Day don't make teachers use their leave. And I'm not going to have any kids...I'm going to go to work to sit in a classroom alone and stare at the walls. Oh and school is canceled tomorrow for the kiddos so now I have to decide to take a day of leave or show up and do nothing. I'm really weighing this one because of my maternity leave, I'm already going leave without pay for a day since I only have 23 days saved and wouldn't you know it there's 24 days left of the school year from when I take off. So what's another day without pay? Lord knows I don't make anything anyway and my paycheck really doesn't benefit us but then I think about what if Jameson comes early? Then I'll be going even longer without pay.

It just seems ridiculous. If I'm not going to have any kids anyway then does it really matter if I'm sitting in my classroom? And why do I need my attendance verified especially when no one cares about my attendance when I'm at school by 7 every day when I don't start getting paid until 7:30 or when I'm there until 4:30-5 most days when I stop getting paid at 2:50 or when I go in on the weekends and put in between 3-5 hours which are of course uncompensated? But I digress...back to the original reason for this post.

I thought we lived in Arizona...in Southern Arizona! It was 28 degrees on my drive home which was noticeably warmer then it had been all day. My poor hubs left work at lunch and it takes him 30 minutes to get to work every day because of where he works on the Fort, to check and see if we had water and to assess the gas/heat issue since we were all concerned about it at lunch. Well we had heat but no water still and when I got home the hubs was there, he left work early so he could check before he went to class tonight and still no water. He had/has my electric blanket and heating pad wrapped around the pipes outside and at one point had my blow dryer going. Still nada...so I'll be showering at my parents' who have water but no heat. I guess cold water is better than no water.




I have a picture of the electric blanket but my camera scrambled it and I don't want to go back outside. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment