Background

Thursday, December 30, 2010

bumps

So today I ventured to Tucson to finish Jameson's registry and to buy more maternity clothes as my pre-preggo wardrobe is getting harder and harder to fit into as each day passes. Both events were slightly disappointing. First the maternity clothes.

I like to think of myself as a somewhat fashionable and was dreading the fact that I may have to put that to the side during my pregnancy. I stumbled upon H&M in New York over the summer and was super excited to see one open up in Tucson. They have super cute and fashionable clothing for super affordable and this fashionista is and forever will be a hardcore shopper who has to do it within reason so I love that this store marries the two--super cute with super affordable. While I love that they are very affordable I also love that they have a maternity section. When I stumbled upon this find I thought, "My prayers have been answered...I don't have to give up being fashionable just because certain parts of me are getting bigger." Now, granted the maternity section is literally a small section of a wall thrown in between baby gear and the entire section would probably fit into my closet...I was still super excited. That is..until today. I've bought maternity clothes from here previously and had a lot more success but now that I've gotten more baby shall we say and today was not a good day. As my mom and her friend were passing me clothes in the fitting room, we noticed a trend of me needing a size large. This instantly reduced me to tears and a quiet crying in the fitting room while I'm squeezing into pants too small or putting on tops too big. I know there is nothing wrong with needing to wear a size large but for someone who hasn't ever needed to buy a shirt or sweater in size large unless it was a sweatshirt it was quite jarring. Out of all of the things I tried on I ended up with a blue and white pin stripe shirt and black dress pants that I can wear to work. I was so upset that all I wanted to do was pay and get out of the store and mall.

It's time for a bathroom break and I end up sitting on the fountain in the middle of the mall crying to my mom about how I'm not one of those cute pregnant ladies. I'm actually ugly and huge and so not cute. My mom is trying to explain to me that buying larger clothes doesn't mean anything bad all it means is I'm going to grow and if I buy bigger now it'll save me money and time down the road. I know she's right but again...all I can think of is how huge I am and how ugly I am. She assures me I'm neither and asks me if I think other pregnant ladies are ugly and I say of course not...they're ALL cute...it's just me.

Anyway, she coaxes me to going into Motherhood to look for more clothes and she and her friend were literally running circles around the store pulling anything cute. I ended up with a decently sized wardrobe that can be mixed and matched and will last me until this baby decides to enter the world. It did help that they had a baby bump that I could put on and once I did that I understood the point of buying larger sized clothes. All stores that offer a maternity section should have these pretend baby bumps. It just makes the process much easier and more satisfying.

I know that I'm not fat I just have baby but it's very hard to see your body change and grow when you're not used to it or when you don't always feel so cute and pretty pre-preggoness. I know that this is only temporary and the gain is so worth the changes but it still doesn't make it any easier..at least not for this mommy-to-be.

Now...on to the registry. After leaving the mall with a decidedly cute wardrobe we made our way over to Babies R' Us to complete the registry only to find it closed due to a gas leak. Seriously...not the way to end the day. Oh well, guess this will have to wait until later in January.

I will say I'm so glad my mom was there to talk me off the ledge. I know I'm hormonal but she gets and understands me and is there to offer encouragement and rub my back when I'm crying in the middle of the mall. You're never to old for your mom.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely teared up reading this! Made me remember those days, and how frustrating it can feel! Hang in there love! I think you're an adorable preggo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always look gorgeous, and I am sure you look beautiful pregnant!! I definitely cried in the mall yesterday, while trying on NYE dresses...and I'm not even pregnant! Not being able to find clothes you feel look good is beyond frustrating. Personally, I blame every, single store in the mall :) I'm glad you found some stuff you like!! Have you looked at A Pea in the Pod?

    ReplyDelete
  3. babe,
    you are gorgeous! prego and not prego! i totally understand about buying clothes. We just got back from our trip. Our luggage didn't show up for a week after we landed and i had to find clothes to tide me over. Let me tell ya... when i was in Europe before i had a hard time fitting in the no hips no chest clothes... this time it was way worse and i was in tears. Poor zach had to try to calm me down and remind me its not the best place to be looking for clothes. But like you i found something at H&M. Love that place!
    miss you! love that we are doing this together!

    ReplyDelete