Background

Monday, October 25, 2010

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

What does that even mean?

Tonight my hubs decided to go out with me and search for the missing pieces to my Halloween costume of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. After visiting every major store in this town, and one minor mishap at K-Mart that involved this lady hula hooping in the middle of an aisle and actually slamming the hula hoop into the shelf holding the baby dolls, and laughing hysterically for 3 minutes, we found ourselves at Target. As we were walking in we saw a guy, we'll call him Journeyman, who looked weathered and in need of help of some kind...the hubs noticed one of his soles was falling off and asked if we should offer to buy him new shoes...I agreed and went into the store as he went to ask Journeyman if we could help. After searching in vain at every store for the coveted "ruby red slippers" I decided to settle on red chucks and call it a day. I found my size and also found my husband with Journeyman in the shoe department. I didn't notice Journeyman...he walked on ahead. I went on my quest to find a sufficient Toto and ha..mission accomplished I ventured back to the shoe department and found hubs and Journeyman there. This is where I finally said hi and as he looked up I recognized him as a kid I swam with in high school. He was decidedly as surprised to see me as I was to see him. We had a short conversation and he decided on his shoes but seemed reluctant. We all trudged up to the counters and they decided to do another lap while I bought my stuff. 10 minutes later they come walking out empty-handed. When I asked the hubs what happened he said Journeyman backed out saying they were too expensive. The car ride home was very quiet...when we got home the hubs decided to go back out and try to find Journeyman at Walmart where he said he was headed.

The point of this post is not helping out a stranger who turned out not to be so much of a stranger but what happens in a few short years (it'll be 8 years since I said goodbye to high school and probably 7 since I last saw Journeyman) to a person that causes them to go from what appears to be a shining future to a weathered person who has probably experienced more than they should in their 20-something years? It makes me wonder where are those faces attached to those people I spent 3-4 years with? What has happened in their lives?

I know I wake up some days wondering if this is really my life. I would say I'm very happy with my life...I love my husband--he is the best person I could've ended up with and he makes me laugh uncontrollably and he lets me be my most ridiculous self--which if you know me, you know can be absolutely ridiculous. I love my job and can't imagine doing anything else and I'm so excited to be a mommy (it's what I was born to do...I think) but there are those moments where I think back to college and wonder what if I had chosen that over this or gone that way instead of this? Would I still have ended up in this place?

No comments:

Post a Comment