Background

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Candygrams, Pumpkins, Halloween Parades..oh my!

If you've ever been around a few kids around Halloween then you know how crazy they can be...try working at an elementary school. =) This past week has been super crazy and I'm so happy that it's over!

I'm an advisor for a club at my school called K-Kids and my little contribution is fundraising. So I work with about 12 kids to come up with ideas on how to raise to money for our club and one idea we had (which we copied from 2 year's ago) was to do Halloween candygrams for the whole school. I had no idea how INSANE it was going to be. You could buy one candy gram for .25 or the whole sheet of 4 for $1.00. When all was said and done we made about $320 and ended up with 1278 candygrams. That's a lot of lollipops. It was fun and the kids enjoyed getting their candygrams. But thankfully we're taking a long break from candygrams...until St. Patrick's Day.

The same week as candygrams, I decided to do my annual Pumpkin Extravaganza with my kiddos. Their job is to estimate how much their pumpkin weighs, how big around it is and how many seeds are inside. Then they have to find the actual number of all those areas. When they're all done they get to make a jack-o-lantern out of their pumpkin. This was the 1st year that all of my parents who said they would help showed up, so I didn't have a group. I'm still not sure how I feel about it but walking around taking pictures and managing groups was still a job in itself. I took pictures of the jack-o-lanterns and will upload them later. But all-in-all the kids had a fun and they did a great job!

Friday was our school's annual Fall Parade where everyone gets to where their costumes to school and the K-2 kiddos get to march while the 3-6 and parents are our audience. The theme this year was the Wizard of Oz and I was Dorothy for our grade level. No...I didn't get picture but I have a ton of moms who played the paparazzi part so I'm sure I'll be able to track one down that I scan in. Although one of my fellow teachers told me I looked pregnant in my Dorothy outfit and I should wear more dresses like that. I'm getting to that awkward "is she pregnant" or "just chubby" phase.

This week alone was super busy with activities not to mention having a meeting after school everyday although I did opt out of the meeting on Thursday because I just couldn't sit and listen to people talk anymore about stuff they are going to change later on down the road anyway.

I'm so glad it's the weekend...I need to recharge and gear up for November craziness which will entail putting on a program for my kiddo's parents and making our Thanksgiving feast.

The life of a teacher....we're either very dedicated or just crazy or maybe a little of both. =)

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment