Background

Monday, June 20, 2011

father's day

This guy and I have known each other for forever. Seriously...his mom was my 1st Communion teacher when we all lived in Germany at the same time. Our families have been following one another for some time and our paths have always crossed and by the grace of God or fate or whatever you want to call it we ended up on the same path. But this is not a post about "our story" it's a post about the hubs as a dad.




I don't think you ever really know how your partner is going to be as a parent. I think you have an idea of what you want your partner to be but you never really know until they become a parent. And I have to say that my partner is quickly surpassing what I thought he would be. Seeing him with baby J is indescribable. It fills my heart in a way I've never known and it brings a smile to my face that I've never had.






My hubby is not an emotional guy to the outside world. He can be sensitive but will never let you know. He's guarded and likes to act tough but don't let that you fool you. He's got the biggest heart and deep down a soft spot. Once you get to know him you learn that his eyes give him away every time. I have the privilege of watching his eyes fill with pride when he looks at our baby boy. I have the privilege of seeing a smile I've never seen before slide across his face when he sees his boy.





When I watch the hubs with our boy I know that baby J will always be loved by his daddy. I know that he will always be safe. I know that he will always have a pal in his daddy and someone he can turn to. I know that the hubby would do anything to protect him. I know that the hubby will always help guide baby J but will also let him figure some things out for himself too. I know that baby J will never be loved more by anyone than his daddy (and maybe me too). I know that their relationship will be a special one with the challenges and rewards of any relationship. I know that baby J will falter at times and get lost on his journey but I also know that the hubs will always be there to help him find his way back.




I would imagine that fathers and sons have a special relationship. I can't speak to this relationship as I only know a father/daughter relationship, which I hope the hubs will get to experience for himself one day. But even if we only ever have baby J or only ever have boys, I have high hopes for their relationship. I hope they have the kind of relationship where baby J who will eventually, God willing, turn into boy J, young man J and man J can always go to his dad no matter what the circumstance or situation. I hope they have the kind of relationship that continues to grow and evolve. I hope they have the kind of relationship where they both learn from one another. I hope they have the kind of relationship where they both teach each other. I hope they have the kind of relationship that will last a lifetime and not end or stall because baby J has grown up and gone off into the world as his own being.






Baby J is very lucky to have the hubs as his dad. His dad will teach him all kinds of things. How to ride a Harley, how to pick yourself up when you fall, how to tie a tie, how to cut his hair and shave, how to love a woman, how to throw a baseball and play soccer, how to put your family first, how to ride a bicycle, how to treat a woman, how to drive a car, how to get through heart break, how to be accountable, how to be a good man and many other of life's big lessons and small lessons. And I hope baby J teaches the hubs a few things along the way. I hope baby J teaches the hubs patience and understanding and acceptance of things big and small.





Yes, the hubs has only been a parent for a few short months and we're both growing and learning from this experience. But I have to say I'm so happy to have the hubs as my partner. He's my lifeline. He's my phone a friend. He's my best friend. He's my soulmate. I couldn't think of anyone better to be my baby daddy than him.





Happy Father's Day!

1 comment: