Background

Monday, January 17, 2011

Baby Room Pt. 1

Let me tell you that I am more convinced my husband and I truly are soul mates each time we decide to redo something in our house. It is nothing if not eventful...every time. We also end up laughing hysterically for long period of times. I think as long as we can laugh with and at each other we'll last a life time.

This weekend the hubs and I started decorating baby Jameson's room. We went and bought the paint on Saturday after the hubs had cleaned out his man cave and started painting Sunday afternoon. Sunday after church we went on our Sunday breakfast date and devised a plan that included my husband moving my computer/computer desk/extra table/TV and bookshelf out of Jameson's room and into our new office which used to be his man cave while I went to Home Depot to pick up the necessary painting supplies. In our thinking we assumed that by the time everything was moved we'd be able to start painting by 1 and be done by 4 at the latest. Nothing ever goes as planned in our world. We ran into the same problem when we redid our living room a few months ago but I digress. We return home, change out of our church wear and proceed with our individual missions. I leave the hubs at home to start moving and I head of to Home Depot. My part should have been relatively easy but this is where our comedy of errors (as I will refer to most of the snags of our mission) started. I'm in the painting section looking for a large roller and a small roller and what should I happen across but an 8 piece combination painting set for $10.97. I see this and think "Jack Pot!" just what I need: the two rollers I was in search of plus a paint pan, a paint brush and a paint can opener thingy. I think "Yes, Robert will be so impressed with me---I'm getting a lot of stuff at a great price. What could be wrong with this?" So after finding my "find" I go and pick up the rest of the supplies and on my way home I head.

I get home and run in with excitement like a kid who just got an A on a really hard test and exclaim with excitement "Look at what I got for $10!!" The hubs then proceeds to let me know that while, good job me this wonderful combination piece really is just a bunch of their cheapest stuff thrown together. I insist that IT IS NOT and it'll work just fine. So after moving the rest of the furniture we proceed to start painting and sure enough my husband was right. The roller is leaving hair all over the wall. This is not going to work...it's just not. I do not want hairy walls in my baby's room. I insist that Robert go buy different rollers. So he leaves for Lowe's and left me with the job to finish taking off the outlet covers and clean the vent register. As I'm walking around the house looking for the screw driver I notice that hubs has left his bill fold with his ID and all monetary means. Another error in our comedy. So I race off trying to catch him and find him as he's leaving the parking lot. It's a good thing we are able to laugh during these moments.

Robert gets home and brings me non-hairy rollers and I get to work. He has to leave to go over to his parent's house to do some grout work in their kitchen and leaves me to paint. So I'm painting and painting and realize that I'm very quickly running out of paint. We bought a gallon thinking that would be more than enough to do the room but we didn't factor in needing to do 2 coats as the guy who mixed our paint told us we shouldn't have to. At this point I'm thinking "Seriously...what else could possibly go wrong?" So I call Robert and let him know what's going on at our house and then he let's me know he'll be gone for longer than he thought as he had run into a snag at his parent's house. I finish painting and have a small puddle at the bottom to finish the corners for the hubs since I'm not allowed to paint near the ceiling or base boards (we had some issues when we painted the kitchen). The hubs came home and couldn't believe we didn't have enough paint left over so off he went back to Home Depot to buy a quart more of our blue paint only to find out later that night that we indeed did have enough.


But needless to say the painting of the walls was complete by 9ish. The hubs is working on the door frames and windowsills today. Once that's done the hubs can begin the next part of painting which will be to paint the mural of a tree with our owl family on it. Which I'm so excited for!!We're also working on getting new carpet (which hopefully will be installed
sometime next weekend/week) and a new window shade installed. Then we can start adding the furniture.



Here's hubby taking down the old window shade that's been there probably since the house was built in the '60's.

The larger of the two hairy rollers.

The hairy wall.

Please ignore the fact that I look like a hot mess.

Sorry this isn't the best picture but the finished product minus the trim details.

The hubs taping off the windowsill.

Part of the trim details.

Of course more pictures will be added as we continue to work on Jameson's room. I feel this is going to be a several party story.

1 comment:

  1. It look great! Can't wait to see more pics! Also, you have broken triple digits according to your little counter...he'll be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete